Our Lady & St Nicholas Parish Church
Having been the site of a place of worship since at least the 1250s, the Our Lady & St Nicholas Parish church plays a significant role in the history of Liverpool and sits on a prominent piece of raised land between the Pier Head & Liverpool City Centre.
Originally built as a small chapel in the middle ages, overlooking a quay on the River Mersey, the church quickly grew as Liverpool expanded throughout the centuries.
Aptly named St Mary del Quay, the original chapel stood roughly under where the current tower stands until around 1815 when following a collapse of the main tower that killed 25 people, the decision was made to tear down what remained and erect the current tower & lantern in its place.
Following a German air raid during the Liverpool Blitz of 1940, the church suffered a direct hit, with the resulting firestorm destroying the fabric of the main church, leaving just the tower standing.
Due to its historical significance, the church was rebuilt & expanded in the late 1940s / early 1950s and currently serves as the parish church for Liverpool and its seafarers.
Fun Fact: Up until the construction of George's Dock, the River Mersey used to reach the wall of the churchyard at high tide. The Liver Building currently stands on the site of George's Dock.
This project was a personal research & photography project & is not affiliated with the church or any other organisation.